Saturday, January 12, 2008

Has God Cast You Out?

Technically, my semester/quarter has not yet started. However, I have been studying for both of my classes for a few weeks now. I have already posted quite a lot on my class in Isaiah, but haven't shared anything I have learned from my Missions course. Well, thats about to change.

For my Missions class, I get to read "Introducing World Missions: A Biblical, Historical, and Practical Survery" by A. Scott Moreau, Gary R. Corwin, and Gary B. McGee. I am only 50 pages into it and am already hooked.

In Chapter 3, the authors discuss what the Gospels (specifically) have to say about missions. As would be expected, a good chunk of the chapter was dedicated to Matthew 9:35-38.

"Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When He saw the crowds, He had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."
This is what the authors had to say about this passage:
"Christ's command has an urgency not usually captured in today's translations. First, the harvest often was a metaphor for the end times, and every framer knew the importance of getting a harvest in once it was ready. Second, the Greek word translated as "send out" means to thrust violently (it is also used for expelling demons from people). A farmer who hired laborers to harvest the crop, knowing the importance of gathering in the harvest before it rots, might not be gentle in getting lackadaisical workers out into the field. The fact that two thousand years have intervened since this event took place does not lessen the urgency" (pg 41-42).

6 comments:

Luke Snowden said...

Jimmy, as I am sure you know, there is a word used among many like that of Ravenhill and Lloyd-Jones and Spurgeon. I think this term is probably the most apt to depict the urgency needed in our hearts for the lost. The word is: "unction."

a.return.to.christianity said...

This is somewhat unrelated, but have you listed to "Hell's Best Kept Secret" by Ray Comfort? It's a great sermon (also quite funny) on biblical evangelism.

Jimmy Snowden said...

A Return to Christianity,
I have not yet heard Comfort's sermon yet. However, I have seen it advertised all over the web. I have been telling myself now for about 5 years that I need to listen to it, but haven't brought myself to actually listen to it yet. I will have to make it a priority. He and Kirk Cameron are doing some wonderful evangelistic work.

Jimmy

a.return.to.christianity said...

- You can download the MP3 directly by right clicking this link: MP3
- Same for the PDF

- Also feel free to download a Word Document that I've compiled especially for this subject. I think you might find it useful.


And just for you, I'll use my name here (even though it's several days before the big release on my blog):

Elliot "A Return to Christianity"

Jimmy Snowden said...

Elliot, Elliot, Elliot,

I dig the name. Thanks for the resources. I will check them out.

I have a question. My evangelistic style varies with the situation and person I am faced with. What sort of wiggle room for evangelistic methodology would you allow? Does Comfort's method leave room for "comfronting" (haha) different situations in a way that does not treat every one the same?

Jimmy

a.return.to.christianity said...

Jimmy,

I have carefully prepared this answer before to someone who commented at my blog and was "personally disenchanted with the idea of using a methodology." My response to this is that Ray Comfort merely provides a very biblical structure around which any witnessing encounter should be built upon.

The Ray Comfort (also known as "biblical-" please check out the verses document) consists of the following:
- Show them their sin to convince them that they are not a good person, and will never make it to heaven by being good.
- Show them that their sin must be punished by a just God and will result in their going to hell because of the offenses committed against a holy God.
- Once they have been burdened with their sin, give them the good news of the Gospel of their fine being paid for in Jesus Christ, and that they can claim the free gift by faith and repentance.


Elliot