Friday, January 12, 2007

Is God Male or Female

The title of this blog is a ploy to get you to read it. I am not really going to be talking about the masculinity or femininity of God. BUT, read on!

I realize that I am not necessarily the most consistent blogger. I may write one post in a month, but then write 10 posts in a week. Because of this I am sure that it is difficult for some to follow. Some blog sites provide the option to have an email sent to those who regularly read their blog, unfortunately blogspot does not. This helps them know when a new post has been added to the blog site. It also helps them not to forget about the blog.

So, if you like to keep up with the things I write but have a hard time doing so I have an idea.

Send me an email saying that you would like to be notified whenever I put up a new post on my blog site (my email address is lumpmac7@yahoo.com). I will then send out notification emails (to those who email me saying that they want to be notified) whenever I put a new post on the blog site. BRILLIANT!

Oh, by the way, God is not necessesarily male or female. God is Spirit. The Bible surely does refer to God as "Father." The Bible also addresses God as a "he." But God is also described as one who is affectionate like a woman. Remember that God created man in His image. What does this mean? What I am about to say is not all that popluar. But, what does that passage in Gen. 1 say? God created man in His image "MALE AND FEMALE HE CREATED THEM." Many scholars have said that this is what it means to be created in the image of God. From the context of the passage it certainly seems plausible. Today we want "being created in the image of God" to be something that separates us from the animal kingdom, but does it? Or maybe it does. Because the differences between a human being female and a racoon female are quite different. The differences between a male salmon and a male human being are also quite different. Maybe we as humans, with the diversity that comes from our unique human male/female distinctions is what separates us from the animal kingdom. Maybe it is our unique human male/female distinctions that reflects the character of God in a wonderful way. Maybe our unique human male/female distinctions paints a fuller picture of the character of God than could be done by any other male/female distinctions of other animals. Anyway, just some thoughts.

Thanks

No comments: